England vs. Paraguay

I thought about making it "shport" in general, but I really don't care about the others.

Moderator: aquaphase

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

England vs. Paraguay

Postby aquaphase » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:06 pm

Shouldn't this have been an easier match for England?

Plus, what the hell did Crouch do to the refs to garner so much damn attention during the match? It seemed like he couldn't even sneeze without drawing a foul.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Yahoo News: England's effort fails to inspire confidence.

It almost seemed like Paraguay's listlessness was infectious.

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:58 pm

The referee was crap, but not as crap as England in the second half. It seemed the players disappeared, and Sven's substitutions were, um, weird. They kept blaming the 30 degree heat (pussies) and the fact they got the win in the first match, but still...Crouch kept falling down. Now I know why he doesn't do headers, it's because he falls over every time. Fortunately for England, Paraguay missed on their only 2 true chances; Paul Robinson wasn't even tested really.

The last half was some of the worst football I've ever seen.

Fortunately, I ended the evening by watching Argentina v Ivory Coast. Now that was some inspired football.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:02 pm

Fortunately, I ended the evening by watching Argentina v Ivory Coast. Now that was some inspired football.
No joke. I'm not sure where Ivory Coast found their inspiring 2nd half, but that was some incredible ball handling... even if I do hate Didier
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

eebs

Postby eebs » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:06 pm

We always struggle in the heat as we're not used to it - we don't have the extremes of temperature you find in the us or other countries. We also find it hard to play the slow measured build up play you'll get with Italy or Brazil - 100% tempo is our normal game. Might explain why we haven't scored in the 2nd half of a world cup game for a long time (seen 8-11 games quoted from different sources) as the players run out of steam and give the ball away without the legs to win it back.

I thought the reason we played poorly in the second half was due to the tactics as much as the heat. Sven made a poor choice in not taking a recognised striker and choosing walcott instead. Playing 4-4-1-1 is a complete waste of time as the midfield ended up dropping back and playing deep. how many times did downing touch the ball... maybe 2 runs at the most. I would rather have left jenas at home (how many games is he likely to play, given that carrick, lampard, hargreaves, lampard, cole and beckham are all ahead of him in the running?)We also play better by building it up from the back and playing through the midfield.

Defoe is a natural replacement for Owen and if he had come on, it would have helped Crouch, who isn't in the Shearer mold when it comes to keeping the ball. Crouch's strength is playing the ball down to a strike partner or to a midfielder pressing up - not keeping the ball when the Wimbledon long ball desperation starts. His jumping style doesn't help him with referees unfortunately - there were a couple today which looked fine to me but the ref didn't like. . The referee was poor - not allowing players to take on water, inconsistent decisions, giving england that indirect freekick.

I was fascinated to hear that owen wasn't injured and it was a tactical move instead.... the same kind of tactics that took us out of the last 2 major championships then....

In a peverse way, I'd rather we had this result than playing out of skins, putting 4-5 goals past them and the tabloids pronouncing us the greatest team in the world ever..... before the egos droop as trinidad and sweden roll us over.

enjoyed watching shaka playing for trinidad from a personal point of view as well as the points both teams dropped. thought trinidad were a bit lucky but they earnt their luck with some great defending and saves.

argentina game was great to watch wasn't it, i think tomorrow's holland serbia game will be similar (fingers crossed).

roach

Postby roach » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:31 am

One of my favorite parts was during the poland game. the announcer was talking about poland really having an uphill battle in soccer after world war 2 because 6 million people were killed.

roach

Postby roach » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:44 am

The referee was crap,
and he's supposed to be one of the better concacaf refs. one of the reasons qualifying is a damned beating.

Mr. Umpet

Postby Mr. Umpet » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:51 am

My big problem with England's play was tactics as well -- they started putting in mids for their strikers, which is just a pussy move, if you ask me. I was looking for Defoe to come in as well -- what a joy to watch that fella is.

I enjoyed the 2nd half of Argentina/Ivory Coast as well. I know some folks don't like Drogba too much, but I find him fun to watch. It was looking like they'd pull one out there for a second.

Who's got the US high on their lists (besides me..... am I just hopeful?)
"I'd sell my grandma for a rock of crack"
-L. Keezy

James

Postby James » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:34 am

We always struggle in the heat as we're not used to it - we don't have the extremes of temperature you find in the us or other countries. We also find it hard to play the slow measured build up play you'll get with Italy or Brazil - 100% tempo is our normal game. Might explain why we haven't scored in the 2nd half of a world cup game for a long time (seen 8-11 games quoted from different sources) as the players run out of steam and give the ball away without the legs to win it back.

I thought the reason we played poorly in the second half was due to the tactics as much as the heat. Sven made a poor choice in not taking a recognised striker and choosing walcott instead. Playing 4-4-1-1 is a complete waste of time as the midfield ended up dropping back and playing deep. how many times did downing touch the ball... maybe 2 runs at the most. I would rather have left jenas at home (how many games is he likely to play, given that carrick, lampard, hargreaves, lampard, cole and beckham are all ahead of him in the running?)We also play better by building it up from the back and playing through the midfield.

Defoe is a natural replacement for Owen and if he had come on, it would have helped Crouch, who isn't in the Shearer mold when it comes to keeping the ball. Crouch's strength is playing the ball down to a strike partner or to a midfielder pressing up - not keeping the ball when the Wimbledon long ball desperation starts. His jumping style doesn't help him with referees unfortunately - there were a couple today which looked fine to me but the ref didn't like. . The referee was poor - not allowing players to take on water, inconsistent decisions, giving england that indirect freekick.

I was fascinated to hear that owen wasn't injured and it was a tactical move instead.... the same kind of tactics that took us out of the last 2 major championships then....

In a peverse way, I'd rather we had this result than playing out of skins, putting 4-5 goals past them and the tabloids pronouncing us the greatest team in the world ever..... before the egos droop as trinidad and sweden roll us over.

enjoyed watching shaka playing for trinidad from a personal point of view as well as the points both teams dropped. thought trinidad were a bit lucky but they earnt their luck with some great defending and saves.

argentina game was great to watch wasn't it, i think tomorrow's holland serbia game will be similar (fingers crossed).
I thought they went to train in Portugal to try and get used to the heat though? If it stays this hot, the teams from the Americas, North and South, are going to have a field day because this is cool to them, inlcuding the US team.

Agreed, Defoe should have come in for Owen, and it possibly would have been 3-0. There were two great Crouch headers from Cole/Beckham passes that were headed down to....uh....nobody. But easy goals for someone who would have been there.

Yeah, the "tactics" were really stupid. But I think they'll fare much better with a 8pm kickoff on Thursday.

James

Postby James » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:38 am

I enjoyed the 2nd half of Argentina/Ivory Coast as well. I know some folks don't like Drogba too much, but I find him fun to watch. It was looking like they'd pull one out there for a second.

Who's got the US high on their lists (besides me..... am I just hopeful?)
Drogba is an incredible talent, but if you watch him long enough, he'll do things that'll piss you off. Like Hand of God moves, etc. He's a bit of a cheat and a showman, but no doubting his talent.

I'm hoping the US pulls some shockers. The Czech Republic are awesome, and probably have the best goalkeeper in the world. But if Ecuador can beat Poland...this heat could come into play here. I still say the US were seeded unfairly, but they also need to prove their mettle on the world stage. If we can get out of this group, the world really won't be able to deny us any longer.

eebs

Postby eebs » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:26 am

baros is out for the game tomorrow, so one less striker to worry about...

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:03 pm

incredible ball handling...
pedals1

- Mere "ha ha" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:24 pm

I thought they went to train in Portugal to try and get used to the heat though? If it stays this hot, the teams from the Americas, North and South, are going to have a field day because this is cool to them, inlcuding the US team.
The average high in Texas from June through September is over 30ºC/86ºF ( 33/92,36/97,36/96,31/88 ). My conclusion: every 12 year old that makes it through a summer of baseball and soccer here is in better condition than the England national team.

I thought Drogba was very entertaining, but Boka also showed a ton of speed. I wouldn't be looking forward to Ivory Coast if I were Dutch or Serbian-Montenegran(?). We were surrounded by Argentina fans, who I am not sure I like much.
Last edited by sam on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eebs

Postby eebs » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:42 pm

that's why my visits to texas have been outside the summer months....

8)

roach

Postby roach » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 am

Drogba is an incredible talent, but if you watch him long enough, he'll do things that'll piss you off. Like Hand of God moves, etc. He's a bit of a cheat and a showman, but no doubting his talent.
I was wondering why people didn't like him, I think I like him more now that I know why. I'm a fan of the cheats. It makes me feel better about my own playing. But if he played against me I would probably hate him. Now that I have FSC maybe he'll become a rash.

Return to “Footie”