Selling Out

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

sam
The Don

Selling Out

Postby sam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm sure someone can add more detail, but I like this (long) graphic a lot.

sam
The Don

Re: Selling Out

Postby sam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 pm

I’m just throwing some guesses out for the live performances, but it looks like getting a small deal can loose you money.

A weekly coffee house gig might net $100. Another live performance every couple weeks could be worth an additional $300. If they sell 10 self-pressed CDs at each of those and another 100 cdbaby downloads, they are up to $1174 a month. Not much, but they’ve probably put 6-8 hours of performance time into it, plus a similar amount for travel, etc. Maybe they net $40 an hour and have time to write new music and work a part time joe-job.

Sign a small record deal and your album shows up in a couple hundred independent record stores. They each sell 5. You play one show that nets you $500. Now you are up to $800 but you’ve spent all your time involved in record company promotions, travel, etc. All of those expenses are being billed against your future sales and you had to live off your advance money because you lost your joe-job.

James

Postby James » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm

don't get me started.

I will say I made more money per performance just before the whole Spree explosion happened. Then it went downhill as it went uphill, so to speak. Good thing I got a wealth of experience from it :) Because I couldn't buy that stuff. But as far as making ends meet, yeah...selling out is the worst possible thing you can do...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Unless it's "selling out" for an endorsement deal to have your song used in a film, tv show or commercial. I wonder what the average band gets to have a song used in an advertisement for HP, Kodak, Nike, iTunes, etc. . .

- Mere "remember Amy posted a link to an article from Apples in Stereo guy a long time ago about how 'selling out' like that helped him have a life, food on the table, diapers on his kid" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Postby mr_j » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 am

friend of mine in chicago got paid 75K for a 30-second clip of incidental music for Apple Computers. With that check he could tour the country with his band, which would put them in the black and he wound up making most of his investment back. Took him all of two hours to write. I'd like a job that pays 37,500 an hour, please.

katie

Postby katie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 am

- Mere "remember Amy posted a link to an article from Apples in Stereo guy a long time ago about how 'selling out' like that helped him have a life, food on the table, diapers on his kid" 1975
kevin barnes from of montreal has a similar quote about selling the melody of "wraith pinned to the mist and other games" to outback steak house.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 pm

I'll say this -- Outback Steakhouse must have one cool employee at corporate or something because they actually play good music when you're dining!

- Mere "I sing, 'Let's go Outback tonight, let's pretend we're in Antarctica'" 1975

katie

Postby katie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 pm

- Mere "I sing, 'Let's go Outback tonight, let's pretend we're in Antarctica'" 1975
+1
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

kevin barnes from of montreal has a similar quote about selling the melody of "wraith pinned to the mist and other games" to outback steak house.
Yes, but he is prostituting his art to make that money.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 pm

If you got paid enough for a Panda Eyes song to quit your job and tour full-time or buy a house, wouldn't you?

- Mere "I'd sell out for less than most" 1975

Irock

Postby Irock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 am

what you got against prostitutes?

i "'m only half joking" rock
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

katie

Postby katie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 am

Yes, but he is prostituting his art to make that money.
no, he was selling his art to make money so that he could afford to continue creating art. making money off one's art != prostituting oneself. it can be, but it isn't always. the two are not mutually exclusive.
dread stuff

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:57 am

not to interject on the whole "sellout" argument, but it makes me infinitely happy to see "!=" used in a logical argument.

However, I do think you are spending too much time at Blockdot, Katie.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I don't think artists in most other media are as nearly attached to the concept of their own integrity as musicians. Is this something we want from them more than from actors or writers?

katie

Postby katie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 pm

not to interject on the whole "sellout" argument, but it makes me infinitely happy to see "!=" used in a logical argument.

However, I do think you are spending too much time at Blockdot, Katie.
heh. i'm a big fan of the !=. nerdery at its finest.
I don't think artists in most other media are as nearly attached to the concept of their own integrity as musicians. Is this something we want from them more than from actors or writers?
i think do we sort of expect it on some level of all artists. an actor who only does theatre or independent films is seen as having more artistic integrity than someone in blockbuster movies. a visual artist who does tagging instead of showing in galleries is seen as more pure in intent. art for art's sake and all that. i think sometimes it's fair and sometimes it's bullshit. i don't think making a living or even becoming wealthy off one's art immediately means you sold out to do it.

for me, selling out is when you give up artistic control or make artistic decisions you are letting someone else (i.e., a record label) influence you to make solely for the sake of money or fame. this could also go along with personal ideals. like, if kevin barnes were a vegetarian and sold his melody to outback steakhouse, that'd be hypocrisy for the sake of money. but selling the melody to be in a commercial that reaches millions of people daily and will give you a fat check in order to produce the spectacle that was the skeletal lamping tour... shit, why not?

here's what he had to say on the subect, btw.
dread stuff

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”