spree last night

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

roach

spree last night

Postby roach » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm

they didn't wear robes for the majority of the show, only two robed songs at the end, the robes are kind of tired for me. plus they mostly played covers. and the free whiskey helped. and turns out tim can do a pretty good deep voiced neil diamond thing that works for him. and tragiverse.

ifihadahifi

Re: spree last night

Postby ifihadahifi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

A mosh pit? Seriously?

roach

Postby roach » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 pm

heard about it, but didn't notice it. by then i was in a so co coma.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Tragiverse lends itself well to that kind of instrumentation -- I think way back when, we talked on the boards about how it was kind of a bridge between TD and TPS sounds?? That would have been cool to hear.

I think the whole So Co series is supposed to be bands playing cover tunes. But they did play Spree stuff too?

Did they play the Porpoise Song? (Sam heard an interview on the Ticket with Tim D. and he said they'd play Neil Diamond and the Monkees from "Head.")

- Mere "goodbye, goodbye, goodbyyyyyyyye" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

roach

Postby roach » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:38 pm

porpoise song got played. played lgiht and day(i think), soldier girl and a couple others. lithium. live and let die. also played their song they had a make a video competition... can't remember it's name... for a second we thought it was suitcase calling, but it wasn't. that reminded me of the first time i heard suitcase calling after joe butcher left and how empty it sounded without his geetar.

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 pm

i didn't know they were playing. i just listened to the spree for the first time in many years and actually enjoyed it. i was just trying to remember that music video we all went out to be in... 2000 places... just found it on you tube. watched a few others. made me feel sentimental... mt rocking out in the choir... roy ivy being a totally amazing spaz (and his gf wanting to hurt me) and james being mysterio. we had some good times.
plus i met you lot and got a hubby out of it too. :D

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 pm

P.S.
Can you believe it has been 10 years (next month) since Wes died?!

As morbid as that is, I always remember it was October 1999 that I heard about his death and went to the TD boards to find out more info. . . and got back into TD. . . and then TPS. . . and now Forker 4ever.

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Forker 4ever.
amen. 8)

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

Postby mr_j » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:32 pm

yeah, the promo thing was 'a band playing their influences' and it seemed like it might have been interesting. i saw a video of them doing 'sweet caroline' on youtube and it was pretty good, actually. though it kinda reminded me of the turtles.

and tim looks human, like the dude from tripping daisy, in that striped shirt.

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 pm

singing the Bee Gees

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 pm

i really really planned on going to that, until i read about the bogus bullshit thing on getting tickets--no way was i gonna drive to dallas without knowing i had tickets to the show or not. i read on their forum some people had some problems with that as well.

i wish they'd incorporate these songs into their set. is it true they did mercury rev's 'goddess on a hiway?'

katie

Postby katie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:02 am

i have a setlist that i got to replace the one i had from boston '04 that jack peed on.

[tragiverse
sweet caroline
hold me now
live & let die
run to me
porpoise
la la la
running away
she's a rainbow
everything starts at the seam/when the fool becomes a king/atlantis
lithium
championship
soldier girl
light & day/sun machine
something in the air]

mr. j, you should've just gone. it wasn't that crowded, and it especially wasn't crowded for a free show. but it was a really good show. they looked normal, like musicians playing instruments to create pretty sounds instead of a weird religious cult. the robes were a cool exploration in the beginning, but i think they'd benefit from ditching them. they looked fabulous just in normal duds.

tim did a nice job with sweet caroline. i really wish he'd explore his lower vocal register on a record, because it was unexpectedly fucking pretty. they also had some old video playing on the side at the beginning and i got really happy to see mt jumping up to the camera.

it also made me super nostalgic. and, in a weird way, extremely grateful. because if it weren't for tripping daisy and the spree, most of us wouldn't even know each other. my entire life would be completely different, and i'm happy that they created this music so i can be where i am today. if i had to name a band that changed my life, i would have to say the polyphonic spree, because they quite literally did.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Rubbs

Postby Rubbs » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:02 am

here, here....

is it time for an old school reunioun show? It would be fun to all show up at once.
I like connecting things.

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 am

here, here....

is it time for an old school reunioun show? It would be fun to all show up at once.
I'm in.

I kinda wanted to go to this show, but I'd rather have root canal than go to the Palladium. Even "free" wasn't enough to overcome my hatred of that place.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

katie

Postby katie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:26 am

i'm in, too, even though i was never part of the old crowd in body.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”