Star Trek

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

Irock

Star Trek

Postby Irock » Wed May 13, 2009 1:58 pm

It was really fun, I like it. It had a lot of "bitch please" moments. And was Wynnona Ryder Spock's mom?
Spoiler: show
But I need someone to explain to me how a singler drop of Red Matter can collapse a super nova yet if you blow up 20 gallons of the shit in Earth's orbit, not only does the solar system survive but the core from a starship is enough to pull the ship out of it's gravitational field.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Re: Star Trek

Postby aquaphase » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Yes Wynonna was spock's mom. She didn't really steal the show did she? (get it? get it? Wynonna Rider and stealing? I'm witty as fuck)

Also, Tyler Perry was the head of the Federation and Deep Roy was the little alien thing that Scottie had down on Hoth, err, the ice planet.

As for your other question:
I think it really boiled down to the preparation. When the red stuff was shot into the core, it was prepared and probably imploded like you would a nuclear bomb. Splattered against the ship, it just burned exothermically rather than have a compound reaction forming the singularity. Without the implosion, the energy expended was able to release. Sadly I know all of this from the oodles of papers I wrote on weapons systems during my defense policy classes in grad school.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Thu May 14, 2009 2:00 am

But I need someone to explain to me how a singler drop of Red Matter can collapse a super nova yet if you blow up 20 gallons of the shit in Earth's orbit, not only does the solar system survive but the core from a starship is enough to pull the ship out of it's gravitational field.
They aren't fighting in Earth's orbit at the end. Spock warps away from Earth and they chase him somewhere else, and the fight ends there.
i'm the law of the land, i got ga-ga-ga-ga-guh-guh-girls on the command

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 am

Jebus I have a lot of typos.

They aren't fighting in Earth's orbit at the end. Spock warps away from Earth and they chase him somewhere else, and the fight ends there.
but - the Enterprise was hiding in Saturn's rings; I don't think there was a warp after they started shooting?
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Thu May 14, 2009 3:02 am

There is a warp, that's why the Enterprise comes out of nowhere when Spock sets the collision course. They just caught up with him and Nero's ship.
Another cameo of note was Kumar of Harold and Kumar as a science officer on the bridge in one scene, which I thought was a nice touch and a testament to the racial diversity of Starfleet.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:24 am

Did anyone recognize megan from felicity on the bridge of the enterprise?

And... J j abrams' favorite featured player greg grunberg as the voice of kirk's stepdad during the corvette scene? (just saw his name in the credits; didn't recognize his voice.)

- mere "might see that movie again" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 am

Oh, dear, there are some hopeless nerds here! Just so you know, hardly anything in this movie is actually possible, so quibbling about the details is really odd to me. You've already accepted the unlikely scenario of space travel, time warping, Starfleet, Vulcans, and most unbelievable of all, Beastie Boys music playing on a car radio a couple centuries from now. It's like transubstantiation, just accept it on faith.

I thought the movie was outstanding, the new cast is great, special effects were great though a bit overmuch for my taste. Live long and prosper.

Sy "my phasers were stunned" bil
Are you on the list?

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Thu May 14, 2009 1:39 pm

the unlikely scenario of space travel, time warping
Unlikely?

It's already here.

Irock

Postby Irock » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

But picking apart the details is half the fun. Isn't it?

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Oh, dear, there are some hopeless nerds here!
Just now noticing?

- Mere "8)" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 pm

NEWS FLASH: travelling in time, flying faster than light in a space ship, and meeting your future self are all currently impossible let's not get our panties in a wad over red matter. when i saw the movie (the second time) some dude yelled in the theater "OMG THEY CAN'T ESCAPE FROM A BLACK HOLE OMG" i wanted to punch a bitch. like are you srs.

the movie was really good though. i'm not really a star trek fan at all but i really loved this movie i can't wait for the sequel.

n_n

ChrisLovesYou

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 pm

for real

Irock

Postby Irock » Fri May 15, 2009 9:35 pm

NEWS FLASH: travelling in time, flying faster than light in a space ship, and meeting your future self are all currently impossible let's not get our panties in a wad over red matter.
You're right, its totally stupid to get all worked up over a work of fiction.

*cough* Harry Potter spoilers *cough* *cough*
Last edited by Irock on Fri May 15, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 pm

for real

that was a funny skit on SNL last week...and those are few and far between

katie

Postby katie » Sat May 16, 2009 3:01 am

NEWS FLASH: travelling in time, flying faster than light in a space ship, and meeting your future self are all currently impossible let's not get our panties in a wad over red matter.
You're right, its totally stupid to get all worked up over a work of fiction.

*cough* Harry Potter spoilers *cough* *cough*
spoilers are a different matter!
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”