bonnaroo

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Re: bonnaroo

Postby aquaphase » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm

fuck Fallon, Michael Ian Black & Michael Showalter are going to be there.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

James

Postby James » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 pm

* Ben Harper and Relentless7
I just realised I know the drummer of this band (well, his sister more so than him). He's of the Crowley High School to TCU to rocknroll star track too...

* The Decemberists
Their new album is kinda badass. I'm biased but it could be my favourite yet.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

roach

Postby roach » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 pm

my jimmy comment was very tongue in the cheek, I'll probably have to protect him from katie if we see him.

i'm gonna drink siera mist so hard when michael ian black is on. he was on time and eric the other night. it was quality.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 pm

I just realised I know the drummer of this band (well, his sister more so than him). He's of the Crowley High School to TCU to rocknroll star track too...

Ben's new band is rockin' ....well Ben is rockin, I'm still not sure if I'm down with the new guys. They're ok, but honestly I wasn't sure they really bought anything special to the party. However, it's a good show just the same. The drummer dude is actually pretty entertaining to watch, he drums just like Animal from the Muppets.

Having said all that...Ben is playing with Relentless 7 my bday week, so I have tix to see them at the Filmore. YAY!!!! The last time Ben played on my (actual) bday at the fillmore, I got to meet him, he gave me a kiss and wished me happy birthday....gosh that was in 1996. I'm well over due for some more Ben kisses. :D

katie

Postby katie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:52 am

fuck Fallon, Michael Ian Black & Michael Showalter are going to be there.
my thoughts exactly.
my jimmy comment was very tongue in the cheek, I'll probably have to protect him from katie if we see him.
uh huh. i bet he laughs through his entire set. i'm glad you find yourself funny, fallon, cause no one else does.

my favorite radio station in boston did a march madness type contest but instead of doing basketball teams or bands or whatever normal march madness contests there are, they did the unfunniest comedians. the final two were jimmy fallon and dane cook. dane cook won. i was happy either way. one year they also did the ugliest people in sports, they called it march sadness. haha. i'm pretty sure that one came down to sam cassell and gheorge muresan. notable runners-up included randy johnson and kurt warner's wife.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:40 pm

They did a little thing about him in the Star-Telegram.

http://www.dfw.com/117/story/109963.html
formerly known as valentine (and who lives in WEST Fort Worth)

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 pm

They did a little thing about him in the Star-Telegram.

http://www.dfw.com/117/story/109963.html
I know that one of Ben’s aspirations for this is for people to listen to it with an objective ear and forget what they know about Ben Harper ... and think about it as a new band that isn’t really doing -- there aren’t a lot of bands trying to do what we’re trying to do. That’s not intentional, it’s just the way this band is working.”
see that's just it, when I hear this band all I think about is Ben Harper's music. I don't hear anything different. Don't get me wrong it's good music and it rocks! BUT I don't feel like there's anything coming from these other guys that I haven't already heard Ben play. I mean I hate to say this, but I almost feel you could insert any three other decent/good musicians and it'd be the same. Maybe once the album is out I'll feel differently and hear something I missed seeing them live a couple times in Dec. 08 or perhaps when I see them live again in May I'll see a different vibe between them that's more cohesive.

After like 15 years of dedicated listening to Ben's music I feel completely confident in identifying his styles. I will say that even tho Ben has rocked some hard songs in the past with his original band they usually mix up the musical styles and Relentless7 are much more hard edge, which Ben knows how to do well too.

roach

Postby roach » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:01 pm

by Bonnaroo

4/21/2009 3:49:02 PM
We are very excited to announce that David Byrne has assembled a number of performers for the first artist-curated stage! On the evening of Friday, June 12 Byrne, who is performing the “Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno,” will host his recent collaborators Santigold and the Dirty Projectors, singer/songwriter and founder of Righteous Babe Records Ani DiFranco, former Polyphonic Spree member and Beggar’s Banquet recording artist St. Vincent and up-and-coming multi-instrumental all-female Norwegian alt/folk band Katzenjammer.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:28 am

Sam and I are thinking Lollapalooza in August. . . ?

- Mere "chicagooo" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

katie

Postby katie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:21 am

it's a really similar lineup. makes sense to go there if you don't like camping.
dread stuff

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Sam and I are thinking Lollapalooza in August. . . ?

- Mere "chicagooo" 1975
yeah pretty good line up, sadly I'm already away for a wedding my friends really want to go especiall the depeche mode superfan.

roach

Postby roach » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:33 pm

i'd like to see depeche mode and tool. maynard was in town a few weeks ago signing bottles of his wine... i don't want to think about him sipping wine, I want to think about him breaking bottles of it over jesus' head.

roach

Postby roach » Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 pm

schedule is out... i have a couple conflicts. per usual. oh festivals. I love you.

http://bonnaroo.proboards.com/index.cgi ... 106&page=1

katie

Postby katie » Thu May 07, 2009 6:50 pm

so unfair. jenny lewis/of montreal/wilco/decemberists/mars volta basically happens all at once. jenny plays like a week later at granada, but i'll probably miss it cause of rehearsal, so i can't count on that. i've seen of montreal before, but it was also pretty much the best show i've ever seen. i could just go to the landing if i want to hear wilco, but it's fucking willllco, man. and i can't miss the decemberists, it'd be a travesty. but then there's volta.

WTF BONNAROO WTF
dread stuff

James

Postby James » Thu May 07, 2009 7:23 pm

And just for fun, Elvis Costello is in that time as well...seriously, WTF?

R7 is on "really" late.

I see Gomez is playing the Sonic Stage, which means they'll probably do some bad arse acoustic versions of their songs...

Animal Collective or St. Vincent; another difficult choice.

I'm a bit jealous; that lineup looks amazing. The inner hippie in me is excited about that lineup, much to the chagrin of my inner goth, inner punk and inner cowboy...
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”