hey Sybil

Music, movies, entertainment, etc. Because James wanted it (and seems like a pretty good idea)

Moderator: aquaphase

mr_j
Location: with an underworld spy or the wife of a close friend

hey Sybil

Postby mr_j » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:26 pm

have you read this book yet? it's amazing. and for such a pussy guy, James Taylor was a real manwhore.

and can i go off on a rant? I don't know about you, but the coldest 'fuck you' song i've ever heard is 'you're so vain,' because its message is not mean, and it's not harsh--it's very subtle, it's very depressing, and it cuts like a ninja...mick jagger singing with her makes it even better though for years i never knew it was him.

hazily-sung lines like 'well you're where you should be all the time and when you're not you're with some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend' just...damn, sister!

roach

Postby roach » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 pm

from a relative who toured with JT, he's a real mean ass fuckstick coked out ass dick son of a bitch kind of guy.

ro"but thooooose pipes!"ach

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:29 am

On Howard Stern last month, Carly Simon painted him as a cold, manipulative guy who won't even make eye contact with her, 20+ years after their break-up, even though they parented 2 kids together. She and her son both seemed pretty scared of him, but the son was very diplomatic about it.

- Mere "shower the people you love with love. . . until yo udon't love them anymore. . . then LOOK OUT!" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Irock

Postby Irock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 am

My mom loooooves James Taylor.

Funny, though, how you read a book about three women and your biggest takeaway is about a guy. No wonder he's vain. Aaaand what makes you think you know he's the "You're So Vain" guy anyway?
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:08 am

My mom loooooves James Taylor.

Funny, though, how you read a book about three women and your biggest takeaway is about a guy. No wonder he's vain. Aaaand what makes you think you know he's the "You're So Vain" guy anyway?
1. james is a pretty important character in the book--he was involved with all three women, and he screwed all of 'em over pretty damn hard.
and i think it's a given that he's the man in the song; while there's always been this theory it's a composite between him, warren beatty, david crosby, and a few other celebs, i think carly's pretty much come out and said it's james. taylor. not reimer. heh.

2. my biggest takeaway is that joni mitchell is a talented soul who is deeply troubled yet tempers her pain by delving into her talent.

Irock

Postby Irock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 am

1. nu uh.*

2. See, I guess I missed that in your first post - let me re-read - hm. Still didn't find it.**

*I will accept for consideration any verifiable reference of Simon actually saying such a thing, if you're able to locate it. I don't think you auction off a piece of information for money when you've already "pretty much come out and said" it.

**I'm really just kidding you. Mostly. :twisted:
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:05 am

Actually, it's quite documented that "You're so vain" is about Warren Beatty.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:29 am

Actually, it's quite documented that "You're so vain" is about Warren Beatty.
\

hehe i think it's quite well-documented that carly simon is enjoying teasing her audience

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

I haven't read that book yet, but I definitely want to. It's got most of my very favorite artists from my misspent youth.

Yes, James managed to get around a lot. That plus decades of heroin addiction will probably color people's opinion of you.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:22 pm

By the time Carly was with James Taylor, the song had been written and was already being recorded/released. . . or something like that. . . she defended that is was not about JT (same Howard interview) by simply pointing out the timeline.

The only person who really has been told was Dick Ebersol, who won the chance at hearing the story behind the song in a charity auction.

- Mere "though she said he brought 10 friends with him for the PB&J sandwiches and secret reveal" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

mr_j

Postby mr_j » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:31 pm

By the time Carly was with James Taylor, the song had been written and was already being recorded/released. . . or something like that. . . she defended that is was not about JT (same Howard interview) by simply pointing out the timeline.

according to the book, she recorded the song w/mick, a few days later bianca called james saying that she thinks mick and carly are having an affair, then, like, two days later, they get married. theyd had an on-again/off-again thing for a while, while he cavorted...with both joni and carole king...

Return to “Tuning Fork A440”