eye tuning

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

ChrisLovesYou

eye tuning

Postby ChrisLovesYou » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 am

I was walking across the dusty exercise yard in front of my school after lunch when I was accosted by a bunch of schoolgirls. This, in itself, is not unusual and not the point of the story.

I recognized the girls, though I didn't know their names. They were in the class under mine, and I'd gone down to their classroom once or twice to hang out. In their clique was a girl who I'd say if I were one to have a type, would be my type. Long hair, very quiet, cute. They'd caught me offguard. Something was off about their appearances. One of them grabbed me by the arm and was babbling in a language that I couldn't quite tell was English or Korean. I tried to tune in a little closer.

"Winter bacation, I did eye tuning. Eye tuning."

I hadn't heard those words since the first time I played The White Album backwards. I had no idea what the fuck she was trying to get across, so I told her to tell me again in Korean. I pick up the 'winter vacation' and the 'I did' but I have no idea what she was trying to explain. "Okay, back to English."

"Doctor cutta-cutta." She made a gesture to her eyes. I could make out the scars above her eyelids. I gave her a look of abject disgust.

I looked over her friends. A couple of her friends, too, were sporting tuned-up eyes. Their glassy gazes and hashed-up faces beamed back at me, mistaking my expression for a sign of confusion. They tried to explain further. I covered my face.

We were standing near the steps up to the front of the school. (Side story: my school is built on the side of a mountain, ergo these steps have to be three stories high, I swear.) Up above me, I see the girl with the long hair take a couple steps up and away from me. Then she stops and turns to look back at me.

I stare into her googlyeyes.

The only word I could possibly use to express what I felt was 'betrayal'. But it wasn't quite betrayal, was it? We barely knew eachother. She was a pretty girl who owed me nothing. I don't know what enraged me so, but what happened next happened like this:

In Korean grammar, adjectives function quite the same as verbs. At the speed of thought I figure how to conjugate 'beautiful' in the past tense, and then decide that they wouldn't understand why I would insult them anyway, so I might as well have some fun with it.

"Well," I say in English, "You're all dirty sluts and I hate you as much as you seem to hate yourselves. Bye!" I smile and wave and they wave right back of me. Then I turned around and ran out of there.

Am I a bad person?

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm not sure I get what they had done to their eyes, but it sounds scary.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

zenmomma

Postby zenmomma » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:15 pm

I did a little googling about eye surgery... and I have a feeling it is probably something like this:

Before & After

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 pm

If that is what they've done it's a damn shame.

Irock

Postby Irock » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:08 pm

That is horrifying.

I guess it's nice to know America's not the only culture so "beauty" obsessed. Question: is this better or worse than getting a 16 y/o a boob job? I can't decide.
"There are many fish in the sea, Maria. But you're the only one I want to mount over my fireplace." ~Walter Matthau

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

I was hoping they got laser eye surgery to correct their vision, but sounds more like blepharoplasty. According to Wikipedia -- "It is the most popular form of cosmetic surgery among those of east and southeast Asian background."

I'm not really disgusted by someone wanting to change their body -- as much as I am sad they they feel they need to.

Like that scene in Three Kings, where the Iraqi guy was all pissed off at the American soldier because America made Michael Jackson change his face and make himself white.

- Mere "don't remember actual quote" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Dutch

Re: eye tuning

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:23 pm

I gave her a look of abject disgust.
You are my Monday HERO-CHILD for this.
"Mere 'I prefer my friends to stay in my computer' 1975"

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't find this procedure morally just but I sure am a sucker for big eyes. Keep doing what you do, Korea! Fuck up everyone's eyes!

Sybil

Postby Sybil » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:29 pm

Do I understand this correctly? These are teen-aged Asian girls getting cosmetic surgery on their eyes to look less Asian? That is fucking tragic.

Sybil
Are you on the list?

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 pm

cosmetic surgery = fucking lame, i don't care for what reason.

you should've pushed those bitches off your three story high steps.
n_n

aquaphase
Gabel Gabel Hey!

Postby aquaphase » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Ahh, the naivitae of youth. Many cosmetic procedures are actually quite beneficial and health promoting.
ImageDepositum Custody | not with that face

katie

Postby katie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:41 am

Ahh, the naivitae of youth. Many cosmetic procedures are actually quite beneficial and health promoting.
tru dat. it's not all stuffing your chest full of salt water bags. i had a cosmetic procedure recently but it wasn't for cosmetic reasons. don't regret it a bit either.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

mere1975

Postby mere1975 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:17 am

tru dat. it's not all stuffing your chest full of salt water bags. i had a cosmetic procedure recently but it wasn't for cosmetic reasons. don't regret it a bit either.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here -- vajayjay rejuvenation?

No, don't tell us.

- Mere "'vajayjay' still makes me smile" 1975

"You'll have to wait until my cameo in the next season for confirmation" - eebs
"I'm one of my favorite things!" - irock

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:51 am

beneficial, yeah.
still lame
n_n

katie

Postby katie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:30 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here -- vajayjay rejuvenation?
naw. laser hair removal. ingrown hairs are a bitch. they hurt so goddamned bad.
beneficial, yeah.
still lame
not really, sugar. i don't really think it's lame to pay some dollars to have my hair not grow back into my body and get infected and explode. might just be me, though.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”