RIP Steve Irwin

If it looks like a fork and it quacks like a fork...

Moderator: aquaphase

froggorino

Postby froggorino » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:09 pm

am i the only one who didn't like this guy? i'm sorry for his death but to me it wasn't devastating. i'm sadder that he had two young kids who now don't have a dad because he liked to take stupid risks.
stupid risks? the guy died doing what he was born to do and thats more than what alot of people including myself could say if they died today...
word, dog. word.

Devdog

Postby Devdog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:33 pm

His death was recorded on camera. Wonder how long it will be before it shows up on http://www.ogrish.com ?
Getting out my pitchfork. Poking your hay. - Spinal Tap

froggorino

Postby froggorino » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm

His death was recorded on camera. Wonder how long it will be before it shows up on http://www.ogrish.com ?
now there's a whole site full of stuff i have no business seeing. i am already gnarled enough.

frog"who the fuck DOES look at that stuff?"gy

ps -- can you say future axe murderers of america?

katie

Postby katie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:02 pm

i'm sorry, but i think when you have a family, your responsibility is to them. yeah, it's great he was doing what he loved, may we all be so lucky in life to follow our dreams to success. but it doesn't change the fact that his kids don't have a dad anymore and it was his choice that made it so. i just can't believe someone would risk watching their children grow up to swim with stingrays. whatever. it was his choice and now it's his family that has to deal with it. all i was trying to say is that it sure sucks for his family and it's my belief that when you have kids, your priorities should shift. it's all part of the reason i don't want children.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:09 pm

Yikes! That is fucked up!

froggorino

Postby froggorino » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 pm

i'm sorry, but i think when you have a family, your responsibility is to them. yeah, it's great he was doing what he loved, may we all be so lucky in life to follow our dreams to success. but it doesn't change the fact that his kids don't have a dad anymore and it was his choice that made it so. i just can't believe someone would risk watching their children grow up to swim with stingrays. whatever. it was his choice and now it's his family that has to deal with it. all i was trying to say is that it sure sucks for his family and it's my belief that when you have kids, your priorities should shift. it's all part of the reason i don't want children.
would you think it was irresponsible for me to ride a motorcycle? just curious.

katie

Postby katie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:41 pm

would you think it was irresponsible for me to ride a motorcycle? just curious.
kind of, i'm not going to lie. my best friend's mother and stepfather were just in a motorcycle accident where they were hit by a car. that kind of shit happens. thankfully, they escaped with minor cuts, scrapes, and bruises, but when things like that happen, it is sobering.

i think when you have people (like kids) who depend on you so heavily, that taking unnecessary risks is just kind of stupid slash irresponsible. i'm not saying you have to go through life always looking over your shoulder, or missing out on fun because of fear, but there are some things maybe you should think twice about. when my friend's mom was out of the hospital, he said to her, "so was it worth it? would it be worth julie and cole not having a mother anymore to take that ride on the motorcycle?"

if you were in a motorcycle accident like that, would you be willing to hop right back on, knowing that you were maybe a fraction of a second from leaving dolan without you? i really respect you for giving up alcohol to be a good mom to dolan, and in some ways, i feel like this falls into the same sort of category (in a different way, if it makes any sense at all... if not, i can try and clarify). it's all about risk-taking and how far you want to push before the universe pushes back.
dread stuff

NEW ETSY NEW ETSY NEW ETSY

[But if I cross paths with him on Farm Town I'll harvest the fuck out of his trees and not even say thank you.] -jimbo.

Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:15 pm

all the more reason that people shouldn't have kids. kids are selfish bitches.

but there is no use sitting here saying he's irresponsible for going swimming. he's still dead. and i believe that he was a good man that loved his children. whatev.
n_n

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:37 pm

now there's a whole site full of stuff i have no business seeing. i am already gnarled enough.

frog"who the fuck DOES look at that stuff?"gy

ps -- can you say future axe murderers of america?
i was scared to even click on the links! though i did... and i'll have nightmares now.
"SINCERELY"

Devdog

Postby Devdog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Sorry about that. Was only trying to make a point. This is the kind of site that would post that kind of stuff though.
Getting out my pitchfork. Poking your hay. - Spinal Tap

roach

Postby roach » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:07 pm

all the more reason that people shouldn't have kids.
but, but, but.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:42 pm

all the more reason that people shouldn't have kids. kids are selfish bitches.

exactly!!! and I should know...I'm one.

ifihadahifi

Postby ifihadahifi » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 am

Katie, the thing is, he took risks that appeared more severe than they actually were. A little understanding, education and experience and you can safely do what others would consider unimaginable. He was vastly knowledgeable on the animals he handled.

The way he died was a completely freak accident. When diving, there are thousands of more risks you take - from your tank free-flowing to the bends. Being stabbed in the heart by a sting ray is one of those things you just never plan for. Being stung, sure
but the hear? There's no way you could be prepared that kind of thing.

So, you study, you learn, you plan, you calculate and then you jump in and you enjoy the experience. I have friends that think I'm crazy for diving. I've had the fact that I'm a parent brought to my attention (as if I didn't realize it.) But you know what, driving to work every day has risks. You shouldn't avoid every thing because something bad may or may not happen.

A safe existence is a boring one. And I'd hate to pass that one to my kids. I'd rather know that I instilled a sense of adventure and the willingness to take a chance just so they can know the thrill of overcoming. I hope it's through an example I set that gives them that drive. I'd hate to see them raised fearful and cautious. And if I take a calculated risk that doesn't pan out... I hope that doesn't deter them. I hope they miss the hell out of me, I hope they are taken care of... and I hope they continue to live a long life full of bumps, bruises, scars and stories.

But I don't ride a motorcyle anymore. Cuz that's just stupid crazy. :D

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:43 am

But I don't ride a motorcyle anymore. Cuz that's just stupid crazy. :D
Same reason I stopped doing acid before BASE jumping.

KathrynTheGreat

Postby KathrynTheGreat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 am

does anyone remember the rumour that he was shot in the head by poachers because he jumped infront of a crocodile to save it?
There was a story along those same lines on the news this morning.

"PETA member eaten by polar bear after shielding it from an Arctic Inuit hunter who was protecting his family.

-Ima Hack, KRAP NEWS"
Due to the economy, I had to let my signature go.

Return to “Slapdash Incongruities”