NFL in London

Forking and the Forking Forks.

Moderator: aquaphase

eebs

NFL in London

Postby eebs » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm interested in this game, anyone else?: (shame it wasn't the cowboys though)

Wembley gets nod to host NFL game
By Mihir Bose
BBC sports editor

Wembley fought off opposition from Twickenham and Germany
London will this autumn host the first regular season NFL game to be played outside North America.

The BBC understands the match will be played at the new Wembley, and that it will be a home game for Miami Dolphins, probably against the New York Giants.

London secured the match ahead of four German cities while Wembley fought off opposition from Twickenham.

"We're thrilled to bring the excitement of the NFL regular season to the UK," said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"London is one of the great cities of the world with an established and growing fan base for our game."

London Mayor Ken Livingstone, who visited Goodell in New York to state the city's case, said in a statement: "London is proud to host the first ever competitive NFL game held outside the American continent.

This is not a one-off event - it;s part of a multi-year strategy

Alistair Kirkwoodmanaging director NFL UK :
"There are many NFL fans in London - both American and non-American - and this will be a spectacular sporting occasion."

The date of the game is yet to be confirmed and further details of the match are expected to be revealed on 2 February.

Wembley has hosted NFL teams before but only in exhibition matches.

The forthcoming game features two of the NFL's most high-profile teams, and could have a significant bearing on the race to reach the Super Bowl.

The Giants and the Dolphins have been chosen to showcase the NFL
It will be played in its own time slot - around 1800 in London, rather than as part of the normal weekly group of matches - and its location will be highlighted with pictures of London landmarks such as Big Ben and Trafalgar Sqyuare throughout the boradcast.

The NFL hopes perhaps double the 60m who watch an average match will tune in for this special occasion.

Securing the game is a coup for London - Toronto and Mexico City were keen to stage it, as well as Berlin, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Hamburg in Germany.

The game is part of an attempt by the NFL to raise its profile outside America.

Alistair Kirkwood, managing director of NFL UK, said: "The NFL doesn't need to do it (go to London).

"If you want to look at it in the medium and long terms, though, it's important to grow the sport.

"This is not a one-off event. It's part of a multi-year strategy. There are a number of different initiatives, particularly related to how we develop British players to play in the NFL, which we will release in the coming months."

The UK is no longer represented in its European offshoot, NFL Europe, following the demise of the Scottish Claymores in October 2004.

By contrast, Germany is home to five of the league's six current teams.

Kirkwood said it was a matter of "when not if" Germany staged an NFL game.

Mexico City's Aztec Stadium hosted the only regular season game to be staged outside of the US to date in October 2005, when 103,457 fans saw Arizona beat San Francisco.

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:41 pm

definitely interested in going...should be interesting. I've read the Dolphins will be the home team, so I'm hoping that they compensate their season ticket holders accordingly as they will only have 7 true home games now...

IF the Cowboys ever come to the UK....or Europe for that matter...I'm there.
pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1 pedals1

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 am

Oh good. You'll get to see li'l Manning fail another 4th quarter comeback.

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:44 am

I guess now is as good a time as any to admit that I was one of the many less insightful fans who thought the Dolphins looked like contenders before the season started. If Culpepper is healthy by next year, it could be an interesting game.

lookout_kid

Postby lookout_kid » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:08 am

i really doubt it'll sell out, i mean why watch american foortball when you can watch a proper game like rugby ;)

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:12 pm

i really doubt it'll sell out, i mean why watch american foortball when you can watch a proper game like rugby ;)
Any sport with a "scrum" is pretty damn suspicious to me.

James

Postby James » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:35 pm

What do you think the OL/DL are? Same thing...

sam
The Don

Postby sam » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:36 pm

What do you think the OL/DL are? Same thing...
Oh sure, that is a bunch of big fat hairy men wiggly around in a pile, no doubt. But they don't let anyone call what they do after something that sounds like it's located south of the 'taint.

eebs

Postby eebs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:54 pm

Date for the diary 28 October.... no news on tickets sales yet

February 02, 2007

It's important for the NFL to try and expand the game Miami Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga said he was willing to give up a home game and help promote the NFL overseas by playing the New York Giants in London this year.

The game will be Oct. 28 at the new, 90,000-seat Wembley Stadium. It will be the league's first game outside North America.

'We're proud to be part of this historic event,' Huizenga said Friday. 'It's important for the NFL to move forward on a global basis. If we can make the NFL stronger around the world, we will help.'

The Dolphins will give up one of their eight home games. New coach Cam Cameron said the team will be happy to make the trip, but All-Pro defensive end Jason Taylor conceded some teammates disliked the idea.

'Some guys have had some issues with it, but nothing big,' Taylor said. 'It's different from driving 20 minutes to the stadium, but it'll be fine. We have no choice now. We're on board and we're excited about it.'

An agreement to play the game at Wembley was completed Thursday night, the league said. Twickenham, home of English rugby, was also considered.

Kickoff will be 6 p.m. London time _ 1 p.m. on the East Coast. Both teams have byes the following week.

Announcing the game at a luncheon that featured fish and chips, the NFL endured a brief setback in its bid to foster international goodwill. Outspoken London Mayor Ken Livingstone was asked about the American sport coming to town in light of critical comments he has made in the past toward the United States.

'I just look forward to the day when the American people elect a government as great as they are,' Livingstone said.

He was followed to the microphone by Huizenga, a Republican.

'I look forward to spending some time with you,' Huizenga told Livingstone. 'Maybe you and I can talk a little politics when we get over there.'

The league expects the Wembley game to sell out quickly. Livingstone said 10,000 Americans are expected to travel to the game.

'It will be a great opportunity to showcase London to new visitors,' Livingstone said.

The only other regular-season game abroad was played in 2005, when Arizona beat San Francisco in Mexico City. The NFL has played preseason games overseas for decades and hopes to play regular-season games again in Mexico, as well as in Canada, other cities in Europe, and in Japan, China and Australia.

Huizenga said the Dolphins will invite fans to their stadium to watch the game, and will help arrange for them to make the trip.

'We're not trying to do that to make money,' Huizenga said. 'We're just trying to get them over there at cost. It's a home game for us. We want to treat it as a home game. We want as many of our fans over there as we can.'

Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch described the game as groundbreaking.

'That's what the NFL is all about _ always pushing for new opportunities, breaking the barriers and understanding what our product means now on a global basis,' Tisch said.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin didn't attend the luncheon, but quarterback Eli Manning said he looked forward to playing overseas.

'It's important for the NFL to try and expand the game,' he said.

eebs

Postby eebs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm

aha - register here for ticket info

http://www.nfllondon2007.com/tickets/

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:11 pm

super bowl sunday right now

eebs

Postby eebs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:26 am

or monday :wink:

managed to stay awake for the first quarter, now got to avoid the final score until tonight to watch the rest "as live"

monet2u

Postby monet2u » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm

lol, yes monday for you. well I won't say who won until you have a chance to watch the rest. :lol:

James

Postby James » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:51 pm

aha - register here for ticket info

http://www.nfllondon2007.com/tickets/
Thanks for this; I signed up for four, but if there's enough interest we can get a group to go. It only counts if you root for the Dolphins though...

eebs

Postby eebs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:47 pm

yeah, i'll be rooting for the Dolphins. Fingers crossed for tickets in the pre-sale...

Return to “Official Forkers Business”